Friday 27 August 2010

Preparing the Ground

Well I have finally decided to go ahead with the chicken idea. I have read everything I can get my hands on, plus I have sat in the company of chickens, just to see (or hear) how noisy they can be, how busy they seem and if they may cause others to complain.
I have joined three forums that discuss back garden chickens just incase I need quick advice.
The coop and run are set up, wood shavings in the house, with a wood chip base to the run. My main concern is to prevent smells so its important to make it as easy as possible to clean every morning.
Morning... thats the other thing. They go to bed at dusk and get up at dawn, which doesn't quite fit with my sleeping pattern. So for a week before their arrival I have got up early... I am so tired, going to bed early isn't what I do, but I am trying.
The extra 2 hours that I am getting in the morning is being put to good use, the house has never looked so tidy. The rabbits, guinea pigs and cats get early feeds and are settled before everyone gets up. This seems to be working at the moment, I just need to keep it up.
Planned collection Saturday afternoon, its a bank holiday weekend so we will get an extra day with them just to make sure everything is ok before the work and school routine starts again for another year.
Will keep you posted.
M

No comments:

Post a Comment