Sunday 29 August 2010

I got up early and its SUNDAY!!!

I did I got up early, not normal in our house and a bit of a surprise for the early birds in the family. I put on my welly shoes and tramped down the garden. Slowly opened the drawbridge of the hen house and there was a mad flapping and excitement as two hens tumble out.
They must have been up earlier than me...


I cleaned them out and refilled the water and pellets. They aren't to have snacks until the afternoon Sarah had said, so layers pellets it is.
They wander and scratch about, gently buc buc-ing. It is a very soothing sound.
Rhys comes leaping into the garden, because they chose him at the farm he seems very interested in them, we have rabbits, guinea pigs, cats and a tortoise but they don't get this sort of attention from him.
The whole day they are checked on regularly but are happy wandering around the run catching crawlies, and digging and pecking at the ground.
Because its Sunday we have a family meal, potatoes and runner beans from the garden, (we had carrots too a couple of weeks ago) its a really tasty dinner. The best bit though is giving the left over peas and beans to the chickens, who thoroughly enjoy the treat.
At about 8.15 they start to get restless, pacing up and down and looking for attention. Seems like bed time, how will it go, I wonder if last night was a one off and maybe they won't be so good tonight. I put some corn in a shaker tin and let them see and hear me I am hoping I can get a 'Pavlov's Dogs' effect going, so when they hear and see the tin it will be automatic bed time.
Well to my amazement in they go again, waiting for their grain and happy to bed down. Within minutes they are sleeping.
Fantastic...

No comments:

Post a Comment