Saturday 4 September 2010

First week over and still going well

Hilda on the right Doris on the left. 
How do we know? 
Hilda has light brown eyes and more black on her tail,
 she is also always first to get to the food.
Hilda and Doris have been with us for a week now. It may still be early days, but they are fast learners...
Shake the bedtime tin and off they go, into the coop and ready to sleep, within minutes its quiet and they don't move until morning.
We have had a lovely week with them, even though I have been back at work it's not been a problem. I have discovered mornings, which up until now I avoided at all costs, but now I have an hour each day extra at least, and it gives me time to do things like this blog.
Today out the girls tumbled and sauntered down the run as usual for a drink. I cleaned out the previous nights droppings which aren't ever very much, (after a full week the run and coop is still smelling sweet) and sit down with them for a chat.
They are dying to be let out into the garden, they can see all the bushes and bugs and want to be out there scratching around. I am still a bit worried but think I may make them an extended run today which they can go out into while we are around to watch. I have been putting a different planter or trough in with them each day to climb on root around in and find bugs and small slugs, which they seem to enjoy. Its important they don't get board as they may start picking on each other.
Rhys wants to put a log or branch for them to climb along so today maybe a walk to find the perfect play structure is on the cards.
When everyone is up there is a busy day ahead, school is back and we need to get some extra bits and pieces. So Dan is off to Cardiff with his mates to get a new school bag and Rhys and I will pop to Blackwood for him to choose his.
As I look out of the window there is an excited dance going on, the chickens have found a small slug and are doing a dodging and jumping game to get at it.
The soothing buc buc noise is very relaxing once the slug is eaten and forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment