Monday 3 January 2011

They are still laying

Well we have all endured the freezing temperatures and the thick snow over the last few weeks, but I wasn't too sure how well Doris and Hilda would stand up to it. I have been amazed, every day two eggs. Not missing a day. It was a little worrying watching them wade chest high through the snow, but they really didn't seem bothered.
I cleared the yard and dug a hole in the snow so they could see the earth and they spent their time digging and scratching around.
One morning I got up to let them out, it was particularly cold, and one of the stressful things for me was making sure they had water, well I poured out a couple of dishfulls, as the water hit the dish it turned to slush it was amazing. Everyone was in bed, no one to show my magic trick to, I poured out a half dozen when I realised how cold I was and went in. The thermometer said minus nine, that was about as cold a it got here, but cold enough.
The day we had the big snow also meant that the guinea pigs needed to be moved in doors. The snow had covered them and got into the hutch, they were freezing and I didn't expect Bumble to make it past Christmas day. But it's January 3rd and she is still going strong. They won't go back out now, not till the weather breaks.
Will post some pics soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle, Happy New Year!

    I think one of the worst things about the freezing weather and snow WAS making sure the girls had unfrozen water and that their food wasn't covered in snow!

    Fingers crossed we don't get a big snow overnight!

    x Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed I think I spent more time fussing over them than the family (human members)
    Happy new year to you too hope it is egg full :)

    ReplyDelete